National Government, Provincial Governments and Municipalities – 3978 vacancies (e.g. Department of Correctional Services, Gauteng Department of Health, City of Tshwane and many more)
Major, National, Provincial and Municipal Public Entities – 251 vacancies (e.g. Post Office, Transnet, Telkom and many more)
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN (UCT): 2019 VIDEO PRODUCTION HEAD JOB
31 July 2019
The University of Cape Town’s (UCT) Communication and Marketing Department (CMD) seeks a highly competent Head: Video Production to join the Newsroom and Publications: Multimedia Unit for the period of a two-year contract. The successful candidate will contribute to the delivery of excellent multimedia content, including complete understanding of all aspects of video production, from pre- to post-, and the ability to coordinate video projects from start to finish, using visual and audio elements to communicate a clear message that consistently conveys UCT’s strategic goals, its vision and its mission. The Head: Video Production reports to the Manager: Newsroom and Publications and works closely with the Head: Newsroom and Publications and other key managers.
The successful candidate will oversee the production of video and other multimedia content within the Multimedia Unit from concept to completion, including the management of internal staff and external freelancers (including sourcing and contracting), the storyboarding and scriptwriting of all video content, scouting locations and setting up shoots with internal and external stakeholders, guiding the look and feel of videos, taking responsibility for video and editorial quality, ensuring that all multimedia content is delivered to expected quality standards within deadlines and on budget, and integrating multimedia content with other CMD units to ensure seamless integration with the wider communications offering of the university.
CMD is a high-pressure environment that is deadline-driven. The Multimedia Unit requires regular after-hours and weekend work, with tight content turnaround times. The unit is expected to produce a variety of videos, including but not limited to corporate communications, media interviews and videos for social media.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute towards other digital publications such as annual reports, newsletters, fact sheets, brochures and other materials designed to promote UCT and its activities.
The successful candidate will be a skilled, diplomatic communicator who is able to work independently and as part of a team, and who is both service and systems orientated.
- three- or four-year tertiary qualification, preferably in journalism, media studies or a related field
- five or more years’ experience in the editorial/newsroom space, with at least three of these in a managerial position (experience must have been in a video production capacity)
- excellent computer skills and proficiency in working with digital technology and editing software packages (eg Avid Media Composer, Lightworks, Premiere Pro, After Effects or Final Cut Pro)
- proven ability to lead, facilitate and navigate team dynamics
- proven ability to lead and contribute to a good team environment and culture
- demonstrable proof of quality video production and digital and multimedia projects
- demonstrable proof of quality video editing in a variety of styles and formats
- ability to handle pressure and keep projects on track to achieve daily and longer-term deadlines
- ability to work independently and manage workloads
- demonstrable proof of writing, editing and proofreading skills in English
- experience with video archiving and storage
- experience in drawing up budgets and financial reporting
The following would be advantageous
- supporting marketing or communication qualifications
- experience in a communication environment at a tertiary institution
- experience in using digital publishing software, such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop or related programs
- experience in using content management systems, such as Drupal, WordPress or similar
- experience in using digital asset management systems
- ability to interact comfortably with people, from high-level executive staff to students and general members of the wider university community
- providing multimedia staff and freelancers with clear briefings for functions, events and other shoots
- directing workflows to meet all deadlines
- storyboarding and scriptwriting to ensure that footage is convertible into quality video content
- researching content for videos, liaising with internal and external communications personnel to inform video content
- taking responsibility for the quality control of all video and editorial work
- writing, editing and proofreading all necessary written content, including blurbs, intros, subtitles and video descriptions
- creatively guiding the look and feel of videos with a focus on the university’s long-term video requirements
- managing tracking systems and archival systems, including digital asset management
- scouting locations, assisting with setting up shoots, framing footage, overseeing everything from wardrobe to lighting, interviewing people as necessary
- ensuring that required equipment is available, and is always well maintained, ready for use and adequately secured on and off-site
- overseeing budgets to ensure that all projects are completed within deadline and on budget
- integrating video production processes with the newsroom, other CMD units and other UCT departments to ensure seamless integration of content
- securing permissions for external content that may be required, including photographs, music, footage
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R368 054 and R680 673.
How to Apply
Please email the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- completed UCT application form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- a one-page letter of motivation
- two-page curriculum vitae (CV)
- links (Google Drive, Dropbox, YouTube or similar) to three video samples of no more three minutes each, preferably showing a range of video styles, topics and mediums
- brief reports of no more than 500 words on two content-based video projects you have been involved in from start to finish, explaining your role in the projects, including your role in managing video production teams and the allocation of workloads
- one testimonial from a person you have worked for/with on video projects
Please ensure the position title and reference number are indicated in the subject line of your email.
An application that does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be asked to do a competency test. Further psychometric testing may also be required.