Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : General Purpose Rating – Port Ops
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Marine Services
Location : Port Elizabeth
Reporting To : Marine Technical Manager
Grade Level : J1
Reference Number : 10253075
- To serve as a crew member on a tug, launch, pilot boat, work boat or floating crane operating within the confines of the port
- Be responsible for the safe and efficient handling of ropes, wires, winches, capstans and other deck equipment during
- To perform maintenance duties on the deck and in the engine room of the craft including general cleaning and
housekeeping thereby ensuring a safe, reliable and professional delivery of marine fleet services to the client.
- To safely and efficiently handle ropes, wires, winches, capstans and other deck equipment during shipping operations
- To perform maintenance duties on the deck and in the engine room of the craft including general cleaning and housekeeping thereby ensuring a safe, reliable and professional delivery of marine fleet services to the client.
- To render assistance to Chief Marine Engineer as required within training/ certification capabilities, including wiping and cleaning in engine room and assistance with maintenance and repairs to machinery and equipment
- To perform maintenance of craft equipment, including internal and external cleaning, washing of bridge windows, preparing surfaces for painting, painting, de-rusting, repair to fenders.
- To perform hygienic cleaning of all domestic areas including cabins, accommodation, heads and galley thereby ensuring safe and hygienic leaving conditions are maintained at all times.
- To perform splicing of ropes and wires and making up of heaving lines.
- To carry out routine testing of deck equipment, under supervision
- To participate in emergency drills and procedures in line with safety requirements and best practices
- To perform jumping duties (where safe to do so), moor/unmoor the craft alongside and rig gangway for safe access to the vessel.
- Observe all safe working instructions and procedures, report any non-conformances to the vessel officers (Chief Marine Engineer Officer and Master-Tug Boat)
- To carry out reasonable instructions as directed by vessel officers on-board (Chief Marine Engineer Officer and Master-Tug Boat) as determined from time-to-time for the safe and efficient running of the vessel
- Store all equipment in designated areas resulting in a safe vessel
- Dispose of waste in designated areas/ bins
- Perform bridge lookout duties when craft underway
- To provide supervision and training, where required, thereby ensuring continuous training and development of skills on-board the vessel resulting in a well-coordinated teamwork.
- To check from time-to-time that relevant qualifications are valid, kept as records, and readily available when required
- To observe all times, that the safety standards are followed thereby ensuring promotion of safety and wellbeing culture on-board the vessel.
- To understand emergency signals and act accordingly
- To be able to do a fire patrol and report accordingly
Qualifications & Experience:
- Certificate of Proficiency as General Purpose Rating or related qualification
- 6-12 months experience in Marine Operations
- Tolerance of ambiguity
- Change oriented
- Attention to detail
- Change orientation
- Appreciation for diversity
- Service orientation
- Team Player
- Passion for Marine
- Knowledge of the deck and engine room working practices as contained in the training manuals for Able Seafarer Deck orEngine
- Knowledge of the duties of a General Purpose Rating
- Safety consciousness, safe working practices awareness
- Capable of using own initiative
- Team player
- Conflict resolution skills
- Client service orientated
- Shift system
- Risk and occupational safety
- Training and certification regulations
How to Apply
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : Human.Resources2@transnet.net
The closing date is on 03.07.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com