Senior System Administrator
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Systems Administrator in the Data Intensive Research Initiative of South Africa (DIRISA) unit, within the National Integration Cyberinfrastructure System (NICIS), which is hosted by Next Generation Enterprises and Institution cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for configuring and maintaining hardware and software systems that support the operational activities of DIRISA. The position is based in Pretoria.
For more info about DIRISA and the Cluster, please visit https://www.dirisa.ac.za and https://www.csir.co.za/nextgen-enterprises-and-institutions.
- Take ownership of server cluster and network administration, support and secure reliable and robust operational functioning of the DIRISA computing and data storage systems;
- Responsible for the performance of the DIRISA server and networking systems in terms of capacity planning, upgrades, updates and repairs, configuration and installation of new software and hardware, as well as security and backups;
- Support the operational deployment of software applications and web services hosted on the DIRISA servers and data storage technologies;
- Evaluate and select systems software and hardware systems that best support the strategic objectives of DIRISA;
- Implement sound server administration procedures and standards (including rigorous change management) that ensure secure and robust operational stability of the DIRISA server and storage platform;
- Participate in the selection and design of products and services built on top of operating and server platforms, and give guidance as an expert systems administrator;
- Develop strategic long-term goals for data storage and systems administration;
- Lead the development and design of a stable and reliable cyberinfrastructure system architecture for data intensive research and data management;
- Develop and implement data standards and usage protocols that govern secure and sound data management including resource allocation and archival policies;
- Develop and oversee the implementation of backup management and disaster recovery plans;
- Participate in, and contribute to local and international fora for research data systems, ICT data standards, procedures and best practices architectures for storage, file systems and new technologies; and
- Lead and guide clients and the DIRISA user community on systems administration requirements for data storage.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A national diploma or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems or related field (e.g. Computer Systems Engineering) with at least three years’ experience in systems administration and maintenance of Linux/UNIX based server systems, networking and data storage systems;
- An Honours degree would be an advantage with at least five years’ experience in these fields;
- Certification in networking technologies such as Cisco and large-scale system software administration would be advantageous;
- Hands-on configuration or maintenance experience is required in at least Cisco or similar networking device technologies;
- Understanding of computer architecture, operating systems, virtualisation; technologies, systems software, networking services, protocols and interfaces. In-depth knowledge and experience in the application of these technologies is advantageous;
- Familiarity with server and middleware technologies for data and cloud storage environments such as Openstack and CEPH. Technical knowledge of such technologies would be an advantage;
- Ability to deploy system upgrades and updates, migration tasks, as well as identify and rectify, server and network vulnerabilities and related faults (bugs) with minimal disruption to the operational continuity of computer services;
- Knowledge of the architecture and skills to design cloud-based storage infrastructures.
Closing date: 07 August 2020
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za