National Government, Provincial Governments and Municipalities – 3978 vacancies (e.g. Department of Correctional Services, Gauteng Department of Health, City of Tshwane and many more)
Major, National, Provincial and Municipal Public Entities – 251 vacancies (e.g. Post Office, Transnet, Telkom and many more)
Senior Electronic Engineer
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Senior Electronic Engineer in the Technology for Special Operations (TSO) impact area (IA) within the Defence and Security cluster. The incumbent will be responsible to manage and work on projects through life cycle to effectively provide the client with research and development (R&D) outputs, conduct field experiments, provide training and deliver on operational requirements. Furthermore, manage the electronic department for TSO, sign off electronic designs and contribute to technical specifications. This position is based in Pretoria.
For more information about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/technology-special-operations and https://www.csir.co.za/defence-and-security respectively.
- Manage projects in the military environment and present progress to stakeholders on a monthly basis;
- Manage the electronic department of TSO to effectively support the client with R&D outputs;
- Conduct research and development in the field of electronics, sensors and robotics;
- Develop and design solutions for complex systems or subsystems as part of a multidisciplinary engineering team, with specific focus on digital and analogue design;
- Design electronic circuit, wiring diagrams, create data pack documents, PCB layouts, capturing, processing and analysing field experiment data and systems integration design work;
- Mentor electronic engineers and technicians to master new skills and better quality outputs;
- Train the customer on specialised equipment for effective use;
- Write user requirement statements, test procedures, training manuals, functional specifications, reports and present test results and recommendations to the client;
- Execute fault finding on electronic equipment and complex systems;
- Design, build and program concept demonstrators by making use of development boards such as Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi;
- Install electrical systems successfully into vehicles as per customer requirements;
- Interact with the client to understand and gather user requirements;
- Research and identify products or systems required by the customer.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in electronics engineering with at least eight years’ experience in the electronics field, of which three years’ should be in digital and analogue design, project management and report writing;
- Experience in managing a lab/workshop will be an added advantage;
- Programming in C, C++ or related language will be an added advantage;
- Ability to perform basic and advanced fault finding on electronic and electrical circuits and use of hand tools;
- Ability to work well under pressure and establish good working relationships with both internal and external clients;
- Ability to work independently and as well as part of an interdisciplinary team,
- Willing to do field work and work away from home
- Problem solving and analytical thinking skills;
- Must have a driver’s licence (at least a code B).
Must have or be able to obtain a valid security clearance up to at least secret level.
Closing date: 30 April 2020
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za