Radar Signal and Data Processor Software Development Engineer
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Radar Signal and Data Processor Software Development Engineer in the Radar & Electronic Warfare impact area within the Defence & Security cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for the development of radar software for real-time signal and data processing for both military and civil domains. The Radar signal processing is concerned with processing echo signals sensed by the radar that is typically performed in the digital domain. The Radar data processing is concerned with measuring and processing information about targets sensed by the radar. The software development forms part of radar development programmes in the defence & security sector within multi-disciplinary engineering teams operating in a research & development environment with commercial end goals. This position is based in Pretoria.
For more information about the impact area and cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/radar-and-electronic-warfare and https://www.csir.co.za/defence-and-security respectively.
- Develop radar signal and data processing software through full software development lifecycle (Planning, analysis, design, implementation, integration, testing, maintenance);
- Write design documents, technical reports, user manuals and other technical material;
- Present technical outputs to internal and external stakeholders;
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to gather and interpret user requirements;
- Coach junior peers in technical area of expertise;
- Support new avenues of knowledge application.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor of Engineering degree in electronic/computer engineering with at least three years of experience in radar and/or software engineering;
- A Master’s degree in electronic/computer engineering will be advantageous especially with specialization in signal processing, telecommunications, detection, estimation, tracking, advanced sensors or radar;
- Experience as product development engineer will be advantageous;
- Experience with the following technologies (Preferably obtained in radar domain):
- C/C++ programming language;
- Boost C++ library;
- Qt toolkit;
- GNU/Linux OS and tools;
- LAPACK and/or BLAS linear algebra libraries;
- Parallel processing with multi-core CPU using MKL and GPU using CUDA;
- OSI model networking including TCP/IP and other high-performance IO stacks;
- Signal and data processing application in software;
- Software-defined radio application in software;
- Automated test development including unit testing;
- Knowledge of:
- Software development methodologies theory and practice
- Signal and data processing theory and practice;
- Software-defined radio theory and practice;
- Desktop, server and embedded platform targets;
- Scientific computing language such as MATLAB, Julia or python are beneficial;
- Track record of project delivery on brief, on budget and on time;
- Good verbal and written communication skills and fluent in the English language;
- The ideal candidate is self-motivated, can work independently and within a team;
- Complex problem solving and critical thinking are essential.
SA Citizenship is necessary, and DoD Security Clearance may be required for this position.
Closing date: 14 August 2020
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za