Admission of older persons to residential facilities - Vacancies 24

Admission of older persons to residential facilities

Join us on Telegram or WhatsApp and get vacancies on your phone!

National Government, Provincial Governments and Municipalities – 3978 vacancies (e.g. Department of Correctional Services, Gauteng Department of Health, City of Tshwane and many more)

Major, National, Provincial and Municipal Public Entities – 251 vacancies (e.g. Post Office, Transnet, Telkom and many more)

About applying for admission to an older persons’ residential facility

If you are an older person in need of 24-hour care who wants to live in an older persons’ residential facility, you can apply at your nearest social workers’ office or older persons’ residential facility.

To qualify for admission, you must be:

  • in need of full-time attendance
  • 60 years or more than 60 years old and destitute
  • a South African
  • receiving an old-age grant or pension.

Please note: No one can admit you to a residential facility without your consent unless a medical report proves you are mentally unfit to give consent and a court order is issued. In case of an emergency a medical report issued by a registered medical practitioner suffices pending the issuance of a court order.

What you should do

  1. If you do not know of any residential facilities, go to your nearest department of social development office to find the nearest residential facility.
  2. Complete and return application forms at the residential facility.
  3. Submit the following:
    • South African identity document.
    • medical report.
  4. You will undergo a screening test to determine if you qualify for admission and a subsidy.
  5. If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, ask a family member or friend to apply on your behalf.
  6. A social worker will arrange a home visit to assess your current living conditions.
  7. If your application is not approved you must be given a reason in writing and you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development.

Please note: Admission to an older persons’ residential facility is subject to availability of beds.

How long does it take

Your application will be processed within 14 days. Within 30 days of you applying for admission you will get a response.

How much does it cost

Costs may vary.

Forms to complete

All forms are available at your nearest older persons’ residential facility.

Who to contact

Department of Social Development provincial offices contact list